There are two types of Joey's. There is the serious Joseph and the Joey everyone knew in high school. I found it interesting that his professors didn't know he had quite the funny bone.
I am just going to put this out there- but that is right, we didn't get into med. school this year. You may say all you want, but our efforts were way above average in every category. I think we just didn't apply to the right schools. So.... this year we get to try it again. I always feel bad because everywhere we go someone asks about Joey's status and it is kind of like taking an open wound and pouring lemon juice on it, then for good measure, rubbing a little salt in. They don't mean any harm by it, and really they mean well by it because they hope for the best. But I realized why it stings. Because we all know that people judge. They immediately make assumptions. Maybe you even did while you were reading this. But people believed that because Joey was such a goof that he could "never amount to anything". I think he wanted to show that he could do it, and do it with flying colors.
But he handles it alright. It only took 3 or 4 days for him to bounce back and start working on this years application. I won't say he doesn't wallow every once in a while but I was very impressed with how he handled it. I tried to tell him that I didn't care that we didn't get in because his effort and even product was impressive and well done. To my surprise he said, "That is what makes it even worse. I know I did a good job, and I am not disappointed in my efforts. I am just disappointed in..." He trailed off at that point and no one needed to complete that sentence.
It was funny because everyone that came across him in mentoring or research never said, "If" you get into the Medical school, it was always, "When." So, it came as a sort of surprise. But, we will just keep plugging along. There must be a reason for us to be here longer. Weither it be something with family or if we just didn't apply to the right school or because we still have a lesson to learn. Maybe our Heavenly Father knew that Joey needed to take it easy. That is a word he hasn't put into action save it be a month total since the day we were married. And when he did take some time off for fun he was so worried when we got back that he was so behind that I always felt bad for him. I don't know why I feel a need to document these feelings of mine. I don't mean it to say that he is better than anyone or less than. I just get so worried about him all the time and hope I can do for/give him what he needs. He works so hard all the time to be his best, selfish I know, but I wish there was a better reward for trying hard.
I have never been good at expressing my feelings but I am so proud of Joseph for what he has accomplished and the lessons we have learned along the way. I am grateful for his professors and other mentors for seeing his potential and rolling with it. Joey is my best friend, companion, caring father to our children, sound board, and he is my happy place. I am so glad that he chose me and stuck with me even from high school. I have known him for 8 1/2 years and been married to him for 4 and I still get butterflies when I know it is time for him to come home. I couldn't ask for a better man. I couldn't ask for a better half. Thanks for being you!













So glad he's graduated! So sorry about med school. I KNOW he has the creds. I was absolutely shocked when I found out he didn't get in. I bet you a thousand bucks that sometime in the future you will know exactly why he didn't get in this round. I bet this trial won't be a mystery, but perfectly orchestrated and you'll get the chance to say, "Oh my gosh, I am so glad we are where we are now and not where we thought we would be." Promise, promise. So enjoy this time together! Love you!
ReplyDelete