This method of counting has served Evie well for a while. But where did 4 & 5 go? I have no idea but they come up in other places during play so I know she knows they are number but they are always skipped when counting. I have tried to convince her that there really is supposed to be a 4 and a 5 in there but she is quite determined that there is not.
So,... yesterday I pulled out the big guns. They say the best way for a child to learn a concept is through a song, a game, or hands on all with ALOT of excitement. So we combined all three. We went into Jonah's room and shut the door. I knew it had to be short and it had to rhyme. So it came out, "One, two, three, FOUR. Here we go out the door." I told here that this was the password and if she said it right it would open the door and she would get to run out of the room, around the living room and back again. She thought this was a funny game. But it was really hard for her to break this habit. We talked about rhyming and it had to be four and door, it couldn't be six and door. So then she started saying, "One, two, four. Out the door." I think mostly she was being a tease. She thought it was hilarious that she said it wrong and mixed all the numbers up. Having it come out, "Two, seven, nine. Out the door! " She would then giggle and try to run for the closed door.
When it came time to show Dad that evening what she had learned today she performed like a charm! We will have to see if the concept sticks.
No comments:
Post a Comment